Are you curious about ways to build intimacy that aren’t about sex or being sexual? Have you had hints of feeling a deep connection with your partner, and are you interested to know how you might be able to deepen that connection even further? My guest today is Patricia Albere of the Evolutionary Collective, an internationally-known organization devoted to mutual awakening between individuals, and the development of a shared consciousness that transcends our individual (separate) consciousnesses. With over 40 years of experience working with individuals on their growth and personal development, Patricia branched out to explore how individuals could connect more deeply with others. Today we discuss her work in the context of romantic partnership, although the exercises that you will be learning could be applied with anyone – not just your significant other.
- In today’s society, especially with so many of us focused on our personal growth, there’s a danger of our becoming TOO individuated – separated from each other like islands of highly developed people. However, once you get to that point, you have an opportunity to connect with others on a profoundly deep level, by “waking up the space between you” and creating shared consciousness.
- In relationships, we’ve had a goal of creating an unconditional, accepting love. However, Patricia calls upon us to love in a way that also demands – where we demand that our partner show up fully, where we call them forth to be their biggest and brightest selves.
- One of Patricia’s practices is to align yourself so that she space opens up between you and your partner. It’s one of her Eight Principles and is called “mutual engagement” – being a total yes to the emerging experience that you’re having with someone in the moment.
- The basic practice consists of 30 minutes:
- For the first 10 minutes, one person is the questioner, who asks “What are you experiencing right now?” The other person responds with what they’re experiencing right then, in that moment – if possible tuning in not to stories about what’s happening, but naming the aspects of experience that are occurring right there in that moment. If they get stuck, the questioner asks again, simply “What are you experiencing right now?”
- After asking the question, the job of the questioner is to “place their consciousness inside their partner”. This is the kind of thing that will make more sense as you try it – like a nascent ability that you may not have even known that you have, but that will evolve and develop as you put it into practice. As the other person says what they’re experiencing right now, can you get into their experience?
- After 10 minutes of this, switch roles.
- After another 10 minutes, you enter a “popcorn” round where you each are tuning into what you’re experiencing – at any moment each of you can speak to “we are experiencing…”
- After that – take a moment to feel through where you’re at!
- This shared consciousness can happen with people who aren’t lovers and even with pets! You do need a willing partner to conduct the experiment.
- The practice can be a “big step beyond” the normal relationship and lead to a deepened, ever-expanding intimacy. You and your partner can take on greater responsibility and intimacy as difficulties and traumas arise in life—all because you share consciousness. If you have a strong foundation, for instance, you can try this technique when you are confronting a problem area in your relationship. If you have a problem, see if you can really get inside the experience that your partner is having. What light and understanding does the shared consciousness bring to the situation?
- Patricia speaks about “loving the truth.” You have to be a “yes” to what IS. Once you are a “yes” to the truth of your experience, there is an enormous dynamic energy available to you in your life. However, the moment you become inauthentic in your relationship, that’s the moment that you’re no longer in relationship. At that point, you have made the decision to stay separate and not let the other person into your consciousness. Hard to share consciousness when you have secrets that you’re hiding away – since you might not want to let someone in under those circumstances!
Links and Resources:
Patricia has online courses, holds virtual retreats every three months, does 3-day intensive orientations for mutual awakening, and hosts a year-long program that starts every January. Visit her website for details!
http://www.neilsattin.com/patricia is the direct link to this episode. Visit to download the show guide, or text “PASSION” to 33444 and follow the instructions to download the show guide. If you download the guide within the first week of this episode’s airing, you are automatically qualified for a chance to win Patricia Albere’s Mutual Trust course – a $197 value!
Our Relationship Alive Community on Facebook
Amazing intro/outro music graciously provided courtesy of: